Eye problems such as dry eye, eye fatigue, and obstructed vision can cause a lot of people to search for eye care in Houston or an ER near me if they work odd hours and don’t have time for an 9-5 eye exam. But rather than wondering whether you need to seek emergency medical care in Houston for whatever ocular issue you’re experiencing, following are 12 tips to use so you can take care of your eyes every day of the year!
- It may be tempting to do when you’re tired or crying, but try to avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Remember than hygiene means more than just washing your hands – if you wear glasses or contacts, their cleanliness is as important to your ocular heath as clean hands are!
- No one likes a sunburn – and that includes your eyes. That’s right — exposure to sunlight and UV rays can increase your risk for age-related macular degeneration and may also cause cornea sunburn.
- Your thirst appreciates being quenched, and so do your eyes! If you don’t stay hydrated, you increase the chances of your eyes becoming dry and more prone to irritation.
- Out down the cigarettes – and the e-cigs, too! Smoking can make individuals more susceptible to age-related macular degeneration and cataracts as well as damaging the optic nerve. Just think about all the money you’ll save when you quit smoking!
- Maintain a healthy diet rich in Beta-Carotene, Lutein, Omega-3, Lycopene, and Vitamins C, A, and E to maintain your eye health.
- Ergonomics matter! Make sure that your work area has proper lighting – such as diffused lighting, and that your monitor is positioned at the right distance for your height – usually about an arm’s length from your eyes.
- Take a break. Yes, your eyes deserve a break. If you’ve been performing the same task for more than 20 minutes, it’s time to look away from your computer monitor. You can either do this by focusing on an object in the distance or standing and moving to help increase your blood circulation, too!
- Freshness counts when it comes to your make-up, cosmetics, and other hygiene supplies. Just as you wouldn’t drink milk past its expiration date, make sure the products you use are also not beyond their expiration date. In many instances, using eye makeup beyond its “use by” date has resulted in eye infections being treated at an emergency room in Houston.
- Sleep helps your body recharge – and this includes your eyes! Make sure you give them a chance to wake up revitalized and healthy.
- Safety first applies to not only workplace accidents, but to your eyes, as well. If you’re involved in any risky activities like welding or the use of chemicals, please remember to use protective eyewear.
- And last, but certainly not the least important, try to always keep your surroundings clean since airborne particulates – such as dust, animal dander, and bacteria – can irritate your eyes.
Remember, Memorial Heights ER is available 24/7 to diagnose and treat any medical emergency in Houston, including concerns about eye health and vision.